Natural Treatment for Bird Parasites
Insect and parasite infestation is a very common condition in the avian world. When left untreated, this issue can lead to other health problems. Fortunately, this problem is easily treated with proper medication which is usually given by a vet. In addition, there are also natural ways to eliminate and prevent the infestation of these pesky parasites.
Identify the Parasite
The first thing to do is to properly identify the parasite that is bothering your pet bird. These annoying critters commonly include lice and ticks. There are many symptoms given by your pet when it is suffering from parasite infestation, which includes unusual behavior, unwillingness to interact, scratching on the affected area, and feather loss.
The most effective way to identify the parasite is by bringing your pet to a vet for various tests. This is highly recommended especially when the parasites are too small to be seen by the naked eye. The vet will look at the samples under a microscope to accurately identify the parasites.
Obviously, having your pet checked and examined by a vet will cost some money. If you are on a tight budget and added expenses for your pet’s health is really not an option, there are still ways to get a proper diagnosis. Most of the time, the parasites are large enough to be seen and identified by the naked eye. If you are unfamiliar with the appearance of various parasites, you can do some research using the internet. This way, you can properly identify the parasite and get the most effective treatment.
Another effective but cheap way for identification especially when the parasites are extremely small is by using a packing or sticky tape on the area where you suspect an infestation. Carefully place the sticky side on the affected area and slowly peel it off after a few seconds. You can also use a small brush and swipe the feathers to the direction of the sticky tape to increase the chances of trapping parasites. After doing these steps, use a microscope or any magnifying tool to clearly see if parasites were caught. You can also bring this strip of stick tape to your vet to help you properly identify the parasite.
These steps are very crucial due to the fact that treatment varies from the type of parasitic infestation. Some treatment effectively works for lice, but useless with mice.
Treatment and Prevention
After correctly identifying the parasite and getting proper treatment, preventive steps must be undertaken to prevent future infestation. The next step to do is to locate the source of infestation. Some of the most common sources of parasites include nesting birds, dead birds in the attic or hidden areas of your home, air-conditioning system and other pets that might be carriers of the parasites. Preventive steps that must be immediately done include cleaning the air-conditioning system, searching for dead birds and animals inside and outside the house, and making sure that other house pets are free from parasites.
To maintain cleanliness in the house, make it a habit of vacuuming all areas of your home especially those which are frequented by the pet bird. Use a powerful and effective vacuum to suck out germs and parasites from carpets, sofas, beds, rugs, curtains and other appliances. After vacuuming, properly dispose of the vacuum bag by putting the content in a sealed plastic container. If possible, you can also burn the content to make sure that parasites and insects are killed.
In addition to regularly vacuuming, another suggested way to prevent infestation is by regularly washing carpets, rugs and curtains, especially those that are near the infested area. Use detergents and chemicals that can kill parasites and insects to make sure that further infestation is prevented.
After vacuuming and washing these home items, the last step to further strengthen the shield against these parasites and insects is to use a potent anti-bacterial insect spray. Make sure to choose a brand that effectively kills all kinds of parasites and insects. However, you must be very careful when using sprays that contain powerful chemicals that can cause harmful effects to both your family and pets.